Thursday, September 29, 2011

Still running

You thought I quit, didn't you? No, I haven't thrown in the towel yet. At least not as far as my running goes. When it comes to life in general.... well, that's fodder for my other, non-running-themed blog.

But, running-wise, a lot has been happening these past few weeks and I'm a little overwhelmed trying to think of how to cover all the things I have been wanting to write about. So I'm not going to try. But since my last entry was a little iffy in regards to my experience with the running group, I will say two things about the group:

One -- the second week with the group was much better.
And two -- it is a learning experience. Not always comfortable, but worth the effort.

I have been running 3 to 4 times per week and my long run is the weekend run with the group. Last weekend we did 3 miles. Truth be told, I did closer to 2.8. But whatever - the group says 3 miles and I say, Yes we did! (This is one of the up-sides of the group.)

My diet has been very good lately and I am beginning to see a slight downward trend on the scale. Not that we're focusing on weight, of course. Weight, shmeight, I just want to be healthy! Now let me tell you about this bridge I'm selling....

Of course I care about the weight. I am woman. I am vain. It matters.

Speaking of vanity, there is another thing I'm really loving about this running business. It's my legs. You're not going to believe this... but it turns out my legs have muscles! No lie. I mostly notice them when I am in the motion of sitting down and my hand brushes against my thigh as I sit, and I wonder, What is this?! Could it be... a muscle? I caress it and softly whisper, Hello quadricep, it's been a long time... I've missed you... stay with me a while, won't you?

Okay, so I don't caress it. Or whisper. That would be weird. But I am seriously digging the muscles.

Lastly, there was one other highlight for me this past week. My running buddy Suzanne mercifully decided I needed a little help with my wardrobe. So, in an effort to make me more comfortable and, more importantly, cuter, she took me to Academy and showed me what the hip young runners are wearing on the trails these days. Goodbye sweat pants and heavy cotton t-shirts, hello Dri-FIT and actual sports bra. I am equipped. And very nearly color coordinated. Baby steps.

I will run tomorrow (Friday) and on Sunday the group will do 3 miles (and so will I!)

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love it. And that's so cool that you got some fun new running clothes. My function in the running group will be to continue to show up as the "unfashionable one". But maybe it's a good excuse for me to go shopping. I mean, how are we supposed to run all those miles without some lighter gear? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a funny runner! You used to be just plain funny. But now, now you are a funny, witty, runner. Good job, honey. Good job. Just to clarify, I am NOT saying you run funny. I am saying that you are now a runner and the runner, that is you, is funny. Boy, this is really complicated. I need a nap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, this post is hysterical! Love love the quadricep whispering!

    ReplyDelete