Monday, September 5, 2011

Positive report

Last week was a good week. Several key things happened, which I am very excited about.
  • I am now officially registered for the 2012 Livestrong Austin Half Marathon.
  • I went to the gym every day (every weekday, that is.)
  • I may have stumbled upon a running group to train with.
Firstly, taking the step of actually signing up for the race was huge. It took my loose commitment to an ethereal dream and made it a tangible goal with no way out. I am committed. It was surreal, yet exciting. What name do I want on my bib? What size t-shirt for when I finish? When I finish. [goosebumps] Thanks to my big brother for the motivation to make this small, but crucial, step finally happen. I forgive you for pushing me down the stairs.

Secondly, I went to the gym every day last week. That is also huge. Huge. After several weeks of being unable to overcome my inertia and get myself to do anything (besides hysterically flapping my arms in a chicken suit with my Wii Fit Plus), being able to get to the gym every day was a big accomplishment. And even better, it wasn't a terrible struggle. I wanted to go. In fact, I even wanted to run. Me. Wanted. To run. Dare I even confess? -- I enjoyed the running. No lie.

Lastly, sharing my plans publicly via the blog and on Facebook has resulted in a possible running group for me - something I never expected and honestly, did not think that I wanted. My friend Hannah, a former non-runner/non-athlete, ran her first half marathon last February. She's doing it again, along with several other of our mutual friends and took it upon herself to cobble us together into a training group. The plan has not completely jelled yet, but I sincerely hope it does, because I believe it will benefit me in ways that I cannot yet foresee. That's what my trainer tells me anyway.

Goals for this week:
  • Get to the gym every day
  • Run more, walk less
  • Stop drinking Coke
  • Find the joy

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Sounds like a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. woohoo! Hopefully I can find the will power to sign up as well. Looking forward to running with you if it all works out!

    ReplyDelete