Monday, February 13, 2012

Don't stop

I guess an update is in order. My last post painted an optimistic picture, didn't it? I was so happy. I didn't post again because that happy feeling went away when my achilles tendonitis came back after my next 5 mile run.

I was/am seriously bummed. The 'long' run didn't happen. And my weekday runs had to be scaled back, again. Now, here we are, 6 days away from the half and I am not where I wanted to be.

Such is life, eh?

But...

I will be there on Sunday and I will run. It probably won't be pretty. That's okay. If you remember, my number one goal is to finish. Pretty doesn't matter. Pace doesn't matter. Run-to-walk ratio doesn't matter. Crawling on my hands and knees and crying like a whiny baby doesn't matter. Well, actually that does matter a little. Finishing with some dignity would be nice. But whether or not I gasp and sputter, in the end only 2 things matter:
  1. starting
  2. finishing
My big plans for this week include a lot of stretching, strengthening, and hopefully some running. I also plan to avoid anyone who might inadvertently pop my fragile bubble of optimism with their well-intentioned advice and/or concerns. My time is up, people. If you don't have words of wildly optimistic stupid blind faith in me, please don't talk to me about the race. Like if I tell you my foot hurts -- don't ask me if I'm going to drop out of the race. You're probably just messing with me, but it will make me cry. Or if you heard I have an injury, please don't ask if I will at least be able to walk the race. I know you mean well, but I will take your words and think I must be crazy if so-and-so doesn't think I can even walk it. How about this? If we must discuss the race, I will do my part by not expressing my own injury issues/fears/training snafus/lack of confidence etc. to you. I will smile and tell you I am excited and ready. And then you can say to me, "That's awesome! That 13.1 mile run sounds real fun!" Deal?

Or, you can follow the lead of my Puerto Rican sister, Doris. She has never said anything to me other than, You can do it! While it may be true that she is uninformed as to my abilities, her words lift me up and instill hope. Last week she shared with me the following Spanish phrase, which has been running through my mind today and which will be my mantra on Sunday.
¡No pares, sigue, sigue!
(Don't stop, go on, go on!)
You have to repeat it in a sweet melodic chant and don't be afraid to get your hips involved. It will make you think of Doris, and that will make you smile. Smiling will help you relax and you will run better if you are relaxed.

¡No pares, sigue, sigue! ¡No pares, sigue, sigue! ¡No pares, sigue, sigue!

3 comments: