Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Look Ma, no heel pain!

In my last post I told you about my little achilles problem that knocked me off my game. And I also shared with you about how I was tentatively getting my feet back on the track, having successfully attempted a 2-mile run. It's been a busy couple of weeks since then. I am happy to report that after my 2-mile run, I was able to complete a 4 mile run the same week, with no problems (i.e. no intense, stabbing heel pain - yea!) I didn't have any pain during my runs and only a little bit after. Icing my foot really helped, as did ample stretching.

The next week (which was last week), I was able to do a 4 mile run on Tuesday and a 5 mile run on Thursday. (According to my training plan, my weekly runs should be around 5 miles.) The run I mapped for myself around campus on Thursday was nice and hilly, giving me some needed preparation for the hills I will face on race day.

Over the weekend, my son and I traveled to Albuquerque for a gymnastics meet, which meant that I did not have the opportunity do my long run. I had hoped I would be able to work in at least a short run, but it was so busy and we were so exhausted, that it just didn't happen.

Of course I am nervous about the race coming up so quickly, but I have been encouraged by several things. First and foremost, I have been running again now for about 2 weeks and I have had no recurring heel pain. That is fantastic! Additionally, I had the great experience yesterday of running my 5 mile campus route and actually making it up some of the hills that had kicked my butt just the Thursday before.

I feel strong, and it feels good.

This weekend I will shoot for a long run. What "long" will mean for me hasn't been defined yet. This will likely be my longest run prior to race day, so I want to make sure it's a good one. I'll let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. You will do? It? You WILL DO it! You are awesome and you have proven it to yourself repeatedly trial after trial. Just keep moving and you will be fine. We are all looking forward to your next post. Go on, surprise us and make us smile. We all know you will be smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad the Achilles issue is better! I'm getting nervous too, but we're close now. So glad to hear you're strong again. Yay!

    ReplyDelete