Monday, August 29, 2011

Back on the track again

It's been exactly one month since my last training update. [sigh] One month lost. My trainer assures me there is still ample time to be prepared for the half-marathon. I am not so sure, but hey, he's the trainer and that's why I pay him the big bucks.

The last month of summer before the blessed onset of school was a real kick in the pants -- so many obstacles to maintaining a regular training schedule. I was doomed. You have no idea how awful it was and I don't feel like going into it. Seriously, it seemed as if everything was against me and I caved. Getting thoroughly flattened made me wonder if I have the wherewithal to pull this feat off. If I am so easily knocked out of my routine, how in the world will I make it through to race day and actually be ready to race? I have serious doubts.

But then there is this: I am stubborn. Man, am I stubborn! I get knocked down and can't seem to stop myself from getting back up again and having grand ideas and goals. It's funny; I've spent the last many years of my life defining myself as a pessimist. But now I begin to wonder, am I really just a closet optimist?

I think, perhaps, yes.

A few changes to the blog:

I plan to start doing my weekly updates on Mondays. I'll give you the recap of my previous week along with my goals for the current week.

Also, I have decided to stop titling my posts "Training - Week ___". So dull. I will attempt to make the titles more interesting, or, at the least, more descriptive.

So ...

Recap for last week (this is easy): Nada. Zilch. Zippo. I did nothing. (Unless you count playing around with our Wii Fit Plus, which is, the way I do it, sort of exercise.)

Goals for this week: Get off my butt and GO TO THE GYM. It's a loose goal, by design. Today was a success - I went to the gym! Started over with the old walk 4 minutes, run 2 minutes, for 5 cycles. I didn't collapse. It was good.

See ya next Monday...

1 comment:

  1. Closets? Why are we talking about closets? What does running have to do with closets? You can't run in a closet. For that matter, I can't even get into my closet. Can you say Craigslist?

    Uh, focus!

    Okay, couldn't resist. Firstly, I am very proud of you. You are right, recently everything has been difficult and nothing has been easy. And you, you do just keep going no matter what. And that my dear is what running (or run/walking) a marathon (half or full) is all about. No matter what happens, or what's going on around you you just keep going. You will do well. I know it and soon you will too.

    ReplyDelete