Tuesday, November 1, 2011

It's good to have goals

I'm a little late with my training update for last week. Here's the brief recap:
  • Sunday, 10/23 - missed the group run (and hats off to Hannah and Michelle for braving the muggy afternoon heat to get their 6 miles in! That's commitment.)
  • Monday, 10/24 - 3 miles at the track, no walking
  • Tuesday 10/25 - weight training (squats, lunges, calf raises, bicep curls, abs, shoulder press, chest press, tricep kickbacks, etc.)
  • Wednesday, 10/26 - 3 miles at the track, 30 sec walk breaks after miles 1 & 2
  • Thursday, 10/27 - Tacodeli (I know... not technically training)
  • Friday, 10/28 - 3 miles at the trail, 1 walk break
  • Sunday, 10/30 - 4 miles at the trail with the group (I only walked a couple of times - once on the crazy hill and once when I stopped to take off my long-sleeved shirt. Oh yeah, and once on the spiral ramp on the Pfluger bridge. So, 3 times.) I spent most of this group run trailing the rest of the group, but for a brief number of minutes, due to a navigation error on the front runners' part, I found myself in the lead! I know it was not a legitimate lead, and we are absolutely NOT competing with one another, but I couldn't help being pleased, thinking, "I'm winning! I'm winning!" And then they all passed me. Ah, well.

And now about the goals...

3 miles is my current theme. When I head to the gym (or trail) during the week, 3 miles is the goal. Secondary to the 3 mile goal is to do the 3 miles without any walk breaks. Sometimes I am successful, sometimes I am not.

Related to the subject of goals, my trainer has shared with me in the past that I should have three goals for the half marathon: 1) to finish, 2) to do my best, and 3) to finish well. And that I should be satisfied to meet the basic goal of finishing.

That being said, let me share with you my secondary goal beyond simply finishing -- what, for me, I would consider to be "finishing well." I think it's ambitious, and I am hesitant to share it out loud, but here it is:

I want to run the half marathon. That's it. I just think it would be super cool.

But on days like today, when running the 3 miles at the track was a torturous exercise in self-denial, and I did stop to walk, I think it is a crazy goal. Me? Run for 2½+ hours? Ha!

But then I remember (and my trainer faithfully reminds me) that 3 months ago I could not run even one mile, could not run for more than a mere 2 minutes at a time. And yet somehow here I am now, at a point where I can run for 35-40 minutes without stopping.

Which makes me realize .... anything is possible.

2 comments:

  1. Babe, you are winning. You win every time you decide to go out, and every time you go out, and every time you do what your supposed to do. That is winning and you always do it and you do it well. You inspire me. Always.

    By the way, I don't see your time for the half at 2 1/2 hours plus... You'll see.

    YNOF

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to take your lead and start doing 3 miles a session! (I've been slacking off because the mornings are so dark!) Way to go! And the weight/resistance training will only help us. Anything is possible! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete