Monday, November 28, 2011

Mountain running

I knew that keeping to the training schedule last week was going to be a real challenge. A 10+ hour car trip. Thanksgiving. Sleeping on an air mattress in a room with 2 kids & 4 dogs. Mountains. How would I adjust to running at an elevation of around 5,900 feet?

I was worried about all these things. We spent all day Saturday in the minivan trekking across west Texas. The plan was to run 4 miles on Sunday, in order to maintain the training schedule. However, Sunday came, and I was exhausted. After a morning outing into town, I completely fell apart and ended up falling into a monster nap on the couch for most of the afternoon. I was bummed that we missed our running window and was worried that I would not have the strength to run on Monday and my schedule would be shot.

Thankfully, my running buddy/trainer/husband was with me and spurred me into action on Monday morning. As we hiked down to the road to begin our run, I was both nervous and excited. In retrospect, I was also very naive. Our 4.5 mile route took us on a steady uphill climb into the canyon (about 630 feet in elevation gained) for 2.25 miles, at which point we turned around for a blessed (mostly) downhill run. I was naive in thinking I could run most of the uphill portion. I was quickly discouraged and straining for breath. Even the walk breaks were not breaks. It was exhausting, of course I cried, but in the end, we did it.

And just in time, too. As we were returning to the house (after the run, on achy, wobbly legs, a hike up a steep, rocky hill), the misty rainclouds we had observed gathering from a distance moved in upon us and let loose. We very narrowly missed being caught in the torrential, freezing downpour. Whew.

After the experience of Monday's run, I adjusted my expectations for our Wednesday run (3 miles). Honestly, most of the uphill part was walked, but even so, my pace was much better than it had been on Monday. I felt much more confident this time out, knowing that this would be invaluable training for the hills in the half marathon.

On Friday we got an early start so as to miss the threatening rain. We took my brother-in-law's word that we had a window of opportunity and we ran with it. It was pretty chilly, so we bundled up and headed out. The rain/sleet from the night before made the route a little muddy, but thankfully the storms held off until we finished our run (the first few drops falling as we made our way back to the house.) Another close call.

I have to say, this week was a huge confidence boost for me. Running in the mountains was a thrill. My trainer's praise, encouragement, relentless pushing and comic relief made all the difference. I could not have done it without him by my side.

1 comment:

  1. I really loved running with you there. No one runs mountains the way you run mountains babe. You are truly unique. You have your own style.

    ReplyDelete